Contact Us

Ask a question, make a suggestion, propose a new venue, report a problem, offer help, or anything else that's appropriate.
  • Upload an image file. For example, a photo of your event venue.
    Accepted file types: jpg, jpeg, png, .
Laurel and Hardy, the movie comedy duo, are commemorated by a bronze statue in Ulverston.
Stan Laurel was born in Ulverston in 1890, originally named Arthur Stanley Jefferson, in Foundry Cottages, now named Argyll Street. Stan teamed up with Oliver Hardy to form one of the most successful movie partnerships in history. Stan and Ollie, and their famous dog "Laughing Gravy", are commemorated in Ulverston by a bronze statue by Graham Ibbeson, funded by fans from across the world, and unveiled by Ken Dodd in 2009. The statue stands in County Square, immediately below the Coronation Hall balcony where Stan and Ollie appeared in front of a huge crowd in 1947. The Laurel and Hardy Museum in the ground floor of the Roxy Cinema building is a magnet for fans, and is closely associated with the organisation of the annual festival "Another Fine Fest". There is also a "Stan Laurel" pub, close to Argyll Street, and in Market Street a cafe named "Laurel's Cafe" and a florists named "Floral and Hardy".