This calendar features events in Ulverston and other towns and villages in South Cumbria, including Barrow, Dalton, Cartmel, Millom, and Bowness. Please check the location details of each event before making plans to attend. You may need a car or other form of transport in order to get to the event.
Event listings for 2021 are indicative, and are subject to change or cancellation due to Covid-19 restrictions.
- This event has passed.
Underground Manchester – The Full Tour on Zoom!
4 January @ 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Head under the streets on this Zoom Underground Manchester tour to explore subterranean canals, the atomic bunker, WW2 air-raid shelters…
Head under the streets of Manchester on a Zoom Virtual Tour of Underground Manchester.
No need for sturdy walking boots, torch, or three-day survival kit!
We will explore in detail, with all the relevant pictures, the places you’d love to get down to but can’t anymore, with meticulous and eye-opening research by Ed Glinert, Manchester’s leading historian.
We will take you to:
• Manchester’s biggest World War Two air-raid shelter – still there, rotting away, complete with war-time relics.
• The underground Manchester & Salford Junction Canal, from its open-air source through to its submerged section where the water resolutely refuses to go away. What a story when it was converted to the air-raid shelter and a million gallons of water pumped out.
• The atomic bunker that stretches for four miles under George Street, Piccadilly Gardens and Market Street, built at a time of government paranoia (what’s new?!).
• The massive space under Manchester Cathedral, complete with toilets, stairs, space for bunk beds.
• Manchester’s half-hearted attempts to create a proper underground tube system. Where did it all go wrong?
• Not forgetting the underground streams and rivers.
Ed Glinert, who has spent far too much time under Manchester, will unravel the mysteries of the deep on Powerpoint. After half an hour or so there will be time for a break for a stiff drink. We will then recommence for another half an hour of sturdy virtual touring. Then you can go home. Hold on; you’re already at home.
All events and venues are listed at the sole discretion of Ulverston Ltd. We reserve the right to reject or withdraw the listing of any event or venue without explanation. We endeavour to provide up-to-date and accurate information, but we will not accept liability for the accuracy or currency of the information provided by third parties or for the content on any linked or related web sites. Listings of events on this website should not be taken as an endorsement of that event by Ulverston Ltd. Event information may change at any time without notice. We will not accept liability for any consequences arising from your attendance at the events described. Before attending any event or incurring any significant expense, we recommend you confirm dates, locations, and other important information relating to the event at the event organiser’s website or by contacting them directly. Please see our full Terms & Conditions.